[AusNOG] Best practice BGP and wan links

Benoit Page-Guitard benoit at anchor.net.au
Sat Jul 11 23:12:38 EST 2015

Hi Alex,

I assume the use case here is having redundant routers at the branch end and
using VRRP on the WAN link as a signalling mechanism for deciding which router
should "own" the WAN IP + speak BGP with the upstream router?

If so, I'd definitely opt for an extra WAN IP if you can swing it. It'll
make the whole failover scenario a lot smoother, and would also have the
indirect benefit of giving you free load balancing for your
downstream-facing LAN interfaces.

Regards,
Benoit