[AusNOG] Aussie ISP bakes in geo-dodging for Netflix, Hulu

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon Jul 6 18:18:15 EST 2015

On 6 Jul 2015, at 9:05 am, Jonathan Thorpe <jthorpe at Conexim.com.au> wrote:

> While it doesn’t address all of the challenges of geo-blocking (in particular, measuring latency), I’ve often thought a more effective approach to this might be, instead of selling an ISP service to do this (for both legal/political and technical reasons), would be a wall-wart kind of device that you simply plugin to your router, that:
> 1.       Serves as a gateway and takes over DHCP and DNS.
> 2.       Geo-dodges DNS and provides a range of VPN services you can selectively route traffic over (i.e. PBR).

If you have a VPS in the USA (and this mailing list is probably populated by people who are more likely than other forums to tick that box), then you could do a lot worse than giving this a try:

http://users.on.net/~newton/netflix.html <http://users.on.net/~newton/netflix.html>

(obviously written before Netflix officially opened in Australia, but it was an effective solution for my household for several years, maybe it’s an effective one for yours too)

  - mark