[AusNOG] Preferencing Peering BGP over Transit BGP session on Mikrotik

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Jan 29 09:37:43 EST 2015

The problem in case others face in future was using 'iBGP' in routeros,
if the 2 routers are the same AS it assumes each router is aware of the
next-hop IP. In this case the edge router was expected to have a route
to the Megaport IP Peering range that is actually known on the peering
router, by telling the peering router to force itself as the next-hop
choice on the BGP session to his edge router, it allowed the edge router
to route the traffic correctly. This is still a 'hack-around' to an
extent, and this is where a good IGP comes in handy to distribute the
connected routes, so you dont have to 'force-self'. (OSPF usually a
winner underneath).

Given your comments - is there a programmable difference between eBGP
and iBGP on any platform? I always thought they are simply terms to put
into context of use, 2 routers BGP peering with the same AS is
automatically iBGP by context, vs another AS which is eBGP by context. I
know platforms (such as RouterOS) treat them differently, but there is
no 'option' to specify eBGP/iBGP behavior.