[AusNOG] BGP hold timer values

McDonald Richards mcdonald.richards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:50:04 EST 2015

Re: BFD on eBGP

I think you'll find most will support it ad-hoc if requested but be
prepared for compatibility issues.

Ones I can think of:

IPv4/IPv6 sessions (one comes up but the other refuses)
Single-hop vs Multi-hop implementations

These may be platform specific but if you want the feature and your
provider is focused on providing great service, they'll likely work with
you to make it work after some tweaking.

Re: timers

I am going to go from memory here, which is a little rusty, and recall that
the lowest set peer wins the timer battle (peer with lowest setting
negotiates for the session). If you want your EBGP to fall over faster then
set it lower and your provider should negotiate to your settings. This was
a fairly common recommendation I made in a previous life.

If you set these down and start seeing flaps, someone's CPU is too busy.

Macca