[AusNOG] BGP hold timer values

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Tue Jan 27 23:19:24 EST 2015

Hi

I will have to monitor that.

We suffered from an outage recently, with a provider we have 2 links with.  We have multiple providers.
As a review of the incident the business asked about the 3m hold timer. In theory the way I read it, is the routes could be held for up to 3 min whilst the link is down...

One of the questions was why did it take soo long ~ 8-9min for traffic to appear on the other link.  Waiting for feedback on that
I am presuming with a lower hold timer/keep alive I can get pretty fast response as its only on this providers network I am failing over.

Alex