[AusNOG] Google DNS Blocking/Unblocking

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Tue Jan 20 11:18:33 EST 2015

On 19 Jan 2015 17:25, Paul Julian <paul at oxygennetworks.com.au> wrote:

> We have noticed recently that some customers are complaining about not
> being able to resolve DNS via Google’s DNS servers, upon further
> investigation we have found that we seem to be getting blocked by Google
> from pinging or resolving DNS queries to their public servers, does anybody
> know if there is some way we can check what the issue might be ?

This smells like a network issue, not an abuse issue.  Not enough
information was provided on-list, but if you send a traceroute to
noc at google.com they should be able to help you out.

The comment about http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/ is false -- that page will
give you a cookie if you prove you're not a bot, but HTTP cookies can't
help with DNS.  There's no need to memorize that URL... browsers will
automatically 302 there if it will help.

Damian
Author of http://ipv4.google.com/sorry/