[AusNOG] Here we go - Presto is now live.

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 16 13:01:15 EST 2015

I think people need to take off their rose coloured glasses when it comes to Netflix. They're bound by the same sorts of geographical content licensing deals that everybody else is, and (although I haven't looked into why), content even disappears from Netflix quite regularly apparently, and they aren't necessarily obscure movies either:

"These 65 movies and TV shows are disappearing from Netflix on New Year's Day"
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/26/7450753/netflix-titles-disappearing-january-1st-65-movies-tv-shows

"The 25 Best Movies Disappearing From Netflix Tonight"
http://gizmodo.com/the-25-best-movies-disappearing-from-netflix-on-new-yea-1671359657

I occasionally can't find movies I'd like to watch on Google Play (which I use with my Chromecast) or that don't have a rental option (and I'd argue they are just as neutral as Netflix). All the local TV channels have content available for rent on Google Play, so in many cases these new services that are owned/partnered with local TV channels aren't really making much new content available:

https://play.google.com/store/movies/collection/promotion_collections_tv_networks

(I'm sure some might be tempted to 'cut off their nose to spite their face' by taking their content off of "competing" VoD services, reducing their potential paying customer base. Boneheadedness lasts only so long before they'll start wondering where the missing money went.)