[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Feb 28 11:00:23 EST 2015

On 28/02/2015 08:43, Shaun McGuane wrote:

> To clear up confusion from PaulC - RackCentral is not a web hosting provider, we sell colocation
> and cloud services - we have customers who are web hosting providers and I know

Ummm, "cloud" is exactly that - hosting anyting on the
internet/web/whatever

its a false marketing ploy to call what they want to refer to as the
cloud today, because its sounds cool the clueless - anything hosted on
the internet is a "cloud" service, so yes, anyone doing webhosting for
past 25 years has been providing a "cloud" service.

The term cloud came about from the old telco days with images indicating
something was "off-network", it aint new (despite what more recent
marketing depts want to think), having remote drive systems, aint new
either, we were doing that 15-20 years ago too.

shutting now as showing my age :)