[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 20:17:33 EST 2015

I suspect* Mark strongly believes that this is a matter that people on this
list should take the time to be fully across, given how much of an impact
it potentially has on network operators, both operationally and
morally/ethically, and this is his way of showing that.

Not just network operators either - those who run the systems that will be
required to store the data and service requests (sysadmins) need to be
across it (SAGE-AU is discussing it internally both within the board and
the general membership - unlike the ACS, we don't see this as simply
another opportunity to push an agenda for control of the ICT sector), and
to be frank, anyone who uses telecommunications services in Australia
should actually have at least a basic understanding, given they're going to
be the ones whose data (sorry, "metadata") will be stored and accessible
without a warrant or indeed significant proof of requirement.

I've specifically asked my ISP for their opinion on this matter, as well as
my upstream provider for my employer.  I'd be quite dismayed as a customer
if I didn't get an answer out of them that covered at least as much of it
as I know about myself.

* I don't speak for Mark (I'm nowhere near intelligent or eloquent enough
to start with), I'm sure he'll either add to this or correct me if I'm
mistaken.