[AusNOG] PJCIS report on data retention bill has been posted

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 18:25:21 EST 2015

Even at this stage we don't have a conclusive specification of metadata,
and what is being proposed has varied widely between who is talking
(Turnbull vs Brandis), who they're speaking to, and the phase of the moon.
Much of what's been fed to the media is only a vague reflection of the text
of the actual bill (which at the end of the day, is all that matters). That
and perhaps what the Communications Access Coordinator decides to define as
metadata, if they're to be delegated the power to define metadata (a very
big question). If they are, they will have more power than is consistent
with democratic norms of policing free speech. If they don't, the data
retention regime will need new legislation for every new technology, and
so, the regime will be unworkable.

Today's PJCIS report states that the specification of metadata is still a
work in progress of its Expert Working Group. But even this is not
conclusive, and subject to negotiation with Labor.

Paul Wilkins