[AusNOG] Influencing Routes

Ben ben at meh.net.nz
Thu Feb 26 20:07:06 EST 2015

Well it's a shorter path, but it doesn't mean it's a more direct path.

Like if I go from New Zealand via Sydney to Los Angeles it's worse than if
I go directly to Los Angeles from New Zealand.

Unless you're doing anycast on it, and using the same subnet in both locations
for services, you're probably fine just advertising to the Los Angeles provider
unless you have a better path than the users you're servicing.  If you're hosting
web sites or the like over there, then the amount of incoming traffic isn't likely
to be that high, and you can still send directly out from the US.  And even 20 msec
can make a difference with https's extra round trip times, tcp ramp up, mulitple
requests.

If you do have a better path than other people, then it's likely to only be better
for close users, so you may want to only advertise it domestically, to peering
exchanges and the like.

That said, you can get redundancy of connections and go over two providers with
two tunnels and get faster/more reliable failover if your providers have a tendency
to blackhole traffic.  (ie they advertise that they can send traffic, but then just
drop it)  Still, that's more useful from your own point of view, and doesn't have to
be advertised externally.

The other way around is generally more useful with advertising IP addresses in US
and pulling back traffic to get better transit providers.

Ben.