[AusNOG] Who are these people nominating for APNIC EC?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at theispguy.com
Tue Feb 17 20:43:57 EST 2015

Hi all,

Every year there are elections for the APNIC Executive Council.... and
every year random people who most have never heard of in the community, put
their names up for nomination for EC. We're used to them, and they pretty
much get ignored... the community isn't going to elect people who have no
skin in the game.

https://2015.apricot.net/elections#nominations

But, there are two other Australians who have nominated... who I've barely
heard of in Australia, much less the International Governance community.

>From what I can see *Sarah-Jane Peterschlingmann* from Brisbane has never
been to a meeting - even the last meeting in Brisbane.  Never posted to
Ausnog, and well... who?

Jonathan Gleeson from Melbourne IT is the same, although he went to the
last meeting in Brisbane - but no others that I can see.

I am not judging these people as people... they might be fantastic
people... but what I am struggling to understand is that people who are not
actively involved in the operator community (not a single post to Ausnog or
APNIC mailing list - ever, from either of them) hope to achieve across a
region of 55 economies with billions of people - when they haven't even
been involved in representing Australia in the regional community - or even
locally.

Again, they might be awesome people... but it frustrates me when people
nominate for such a high office in the global community without doing their
time, being involved in regional governance... maybe a little policy or at
least debating it, maybe presenting sometimes...

Yes... a bit of a rant... but I'd like to see our community vote for those
who have made the effort of being involved, and have shown they are worthy
of our support.

So.. reminder... if you haven't voted... online voting closes in a about 15
hours.  You can vote at MyAPNIC <https://myapnic.net/auth/login.html> ...
check out https://2015.apricot.net/elections#voting for more information.

Of course.. I encourage voting in the following order:

*- James Spenceley*

*- Gaurab Raj Upadhaya*- Dr Kenny Huang
- Jessica Shen

All of which have experience and and are involved in the community in a
significant way.

...Skeeve

--

Skeeve Stevens - The ISP Guy