[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 17 13:04:56 EST 2015

So it sounds like the quota Telstra are making available for you to use is independent of your type of 3G/4G  or Wifi access?
Where the problem comes up is that for example on my Android phone a lot of apps have "Only download/update over Wifi" options, which may also be enabled by default for large download type apps. So your current usage on 3G/4G may not be reflective of your Wifi usage, yet the Telstra quota is treating them as equal, and may charge high per MB pricing if exceeded.
It is possible to nominate a Wifi AP/SSID as 3G or similarly connected to prevent the phone considering it to be a 'low cost' Wifi connection, however it is relatively obscure to do so and I'd think most people wouldn't even know the option existed.
Regards,Mark.
p.s., sorry for the 3 duplicate posts before, don't know how that happened.