[AusNOG] TCP - Fast Retransmit / Normal Retransmit times

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 00:50:07 EST 2015

I think the original reply from Edwin had some good information.

The way I read it, the Fast Retransmit is initiated by the receiver sending 3+ ACKs back for a segment that has not been received yet. If the receiver still doesn't get the segment in question, it's going to keep ACKing for it.
If you read this RFC:

you can see that there is a backoff for retransmitting the lost segment if the ACK's keep coming back for the lost segment. There is also a method for getting back to 'normal' transmission after such an event.