[AusNOG] TCP - Fast Retransmit / Normal Retransmit times

PRK ausnog at digitaljunkie.net
Tue Feb 10 18:13:51 EST 2015

Hi all,

Anyone full bottle on TCP at a base protocol level?

In particular, what's the expected behaviour if a Fast Retransmit (of a
packet that's been lost/dropped) also gets lost/dropped?

How long would be expected before a normal retransmit should be sent?

I've been working through
http://repo.hackerzvoice.net/depot_madchat/ebooks/TCP-IP_Illustrated/tcp_time.htm
and other web resources, and I can see that a Fast Retransmit is after 3
duplicate Acks are received - makes sense.

Separately, a normal retransmit will back off exponentially at 1.5, 3,
6, 12, 24, 48 & 64 seconds. Again, makes sense.

But I can't quite marry the two into the same situation. If the Fast
Retransmit is lost/dropped, would I expect the 1.5 seconds until a
normal retransmit, or would I expect 64 seconds, or somewhere inbetween?

prk.