[AusNOG] Cisco 887 electrical hum

James Mcintosh james.mcintosh at rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:43:39 EST 2015

Hi All,
We replaced a dead Cisco 877 for one of our small clients with an 887VA.
Their office is very small and usually pretty quiet. The 877 ran silently however the 887VA emits a constant electrical type of hum and as such they're unhappy with it.
Since this is our first 887VA I'm not sure if this is normal or if this is a faulty unit. Can anyone please shed some light if 887VA's should run silently?
The Cisco dat sheet states "Newer Cisco 880 Series (part numbers C881-K9, C886VA-K9, C886VAJ-K9, C887VA-K9, C887VAM-K9 and C888-K9), which are fanless, providing a quiet, comfortable working environment in small offices"
For reference the part number written on the underside of unit we installed is CISCO887VA-K9 V02. I'm not really sure though if Cisco's definition of quiet isn't the same as my client's (i.e. silent) or if this is an older unit that doesn't run silent.
Any direction would be much appreciated.
-James