[AusNOG] Low cost 10G SFP+ switches?

Ben ben at meh.net.nz
Sat Dec 12 22:37:35 EST 2015

I was holding off mentioning it - but with those prices, ... and to get 4+ ports for
what sounds like a non-critical system.

Well there is an el-cheapo way.  Stick 3 dual port cards in a pc, then plug onboard
ethernet, or get a cheap intel card into gigabit switch.. then bridge all the ports
together..

Sure there'll be a more latency, and you may struggle to run all the ports at peak
at once, and you have to find motherboard/case/pc that'll take a few PCI-E-e x4 slots..

Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN cards have been cheap on ebay for a while - they generate a lot
of interrupts depending on coalescing settings (which aren't that intelligent) but
single port cards have been going for around $16 US, and dual-port cards for quite a
variable amount.. but "make offer" is your friend. (there's some non-EN ones that have
QSFP, which can run in ethernet mode - but the QSFP to SFP adapters are really expensive,
although curiously QSFP to QSFP cables aren't that expensive for short lengths)

You could also do the ring thing if you're just connecting PC's, ie if you want four
computers with 10GBE, you connect a to b, b to c, c to d, d to a, and route between
them each with dual-port cards.

I'm all ears if there's a cheap 10GBE SFP+ switch though, personally I'd like one that's
fanless for home use :)

Ben.