[AusNOG] Geoff reckons APNIC has about two and a half years of IPv4 left

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:42:08 EST 2015

I think it is just a side effect of how he is projecting address
exhaustion. He is predicting address exhaustion based on the current
allocation rate, but does not factor that last year APNIC activated its
IANA returned addresses policy which doubled the address allocation rate. I
think if we looked at just the allocation rate of 103.0.0.0/8 it would not
be quite as disastrous.

--Damian

*Disclaimer* I just skimmed the article, so if he addresses this point then
sorry in advance. I see he does make mention of some entities having more
than a /22 in the pool, including one entity having some 15k addresses
total for an unknown reason, so maybe there is a couple groups doing
'dummy' registrations to hoard addresses.