[AusNOG] 1G mobile in Korea

Pete Mundy pete at fiberphone.co.nz
Sat Aug 1 15:54:23 EST 2015

On 1/08/2015, at 5:10 PM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com> wrote:

> http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/15/07/31/234209/in-korea-smartphones-use-multipath-tcp-to-reach-1-gbps
> My gut tells me we will not be seeing this in Oz for a long time..

Do you mean you won't see multi-path TCP for a long time, or you won't see 1gbps on your mobile handset for a long time? (or both?)

This MultiPath TCP thing sounds interesting. Being a software solution it could pop up quickly. This PDF was good for an overview http://multipath-tcp.org/data/MultipathTCP-netsys.pdf

I wonder if it would lead to situations where SMEs deploy two run-of-the-mill NAT'd single-IP internet connections, two L3 gateways and two internal RFC-1918 VLANs, then have dual logical interfaces on the internal device's NICs for increased WAN throughput and some level of redundancy?!

Pete