[AusNOG] TPG vs the World

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Thu Apr 30 22:15:40 EST 2015

I have to say it¹s been a remarkable few days in the industry and there is
much more to happen ahead.  I agree that it isn¹t ³nice² to acquire blocking
stakes in companies to thwart your competitors from winning the prize.  But
it isn¹t necessarily (and is actually rarely) anti-competitive under the law
unless you were the monopoly or at least had significant market influence.
In this case you could expect it would be pretty reasonable to argue with
the ACCC that NOT letting Vocus acquiring Amcom is actually better for
competition as there are more players in the market, more east coast
providers etc.. (Granted I can also see the counter to that argument too,
being that a stronger Amcom/Vocus entity would create a new alternative
national provider ­ which I think is more realistic and beneficial for
competition).  Agree it is not ³nice² and I sincerely feel for both Amcom
and Vocus. I particularly feel for the Amcom shareholders who have probably
lost a tremendous opportunity to exit/merge with Vocus.  Share price is down
15% today and Vocus haven¹t been affected much.  Market is a good indicator
of value shifting here.

But lets keep a bit of perspectiveŠ

Just last month Vocus acquired 15% of Macquarie Telecom as a ³strategic
stake² more than likely as a blocking stake/foot on an option.  Smart move
again from Vocus and appreciate there was no deal in play, but rumours
suggested it was being sized up by multiple parties.
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/572879/vocus-buys-15-million-stake-macquari
e-telecom/

Vocus¹ 15% stops any friendly/compulsory takeover  of Macquarie (need 90%
minimum acceptance).  100% minus Vocus¹ 15% is 85% maximum acceptance.  No
can do.

But more interestingly in the case of Macquarie Telecom where the founders
and major shareholders are on the Board (Directors) and own approx 60% of
the shares on issue, under the alternative takeover process called Scheme of
Arrangement (which is what Vocus proposed for Amcom and TPG for iiNet) you
are required to get 75% of the eligible votes on the day of voting ­ and
importantly the Directors of the Company cannot vote their shares.  With
Macquarie Telecom that would mean the Tudehope¹s vote can¹t be counted and
therefore there is less than 40% of the shares available to be voted on.
With Vocus holding 15% there can be no takeover via scheme without Vocus¹
approval.  If Vocus vote against any future scheme then the maximum vote
possible is 70% which is less than the 75% threshold.  Therefore  Vocus
stake in Macquarie Telecom acquired last month has the exact same effect as
the blocking stake now held by TPG in Amcom (actually Vocus and Amcom could
still theoretically go ahead).  It will be difficult for Vocus to seriously
argue the merits of this without drawing attention to their actions a month
earlier.   The value of hindsight I suppose.

The next thing to watch is what happens in the week with M2 and iiNet.
Under the Scheme Document TPG will have 4 business days (I think) to counter
M2¹s offer.  This will all keep playing out over the next week.  I think
there maybe merit in Vocus/Amcom arguing with the ACCC that if TPG do get
their hands on iiNet, then as part of their approval they should required
TPG to dispose of their (or related parties) interests in Amcom.  TPG will
be the second largest player in terms of broadband, acquired two (2)
domestic/metro fibre networks and their stake in Amcom at that point could
be argued to be bad enough for the ACCC to make it a term of conditional
approval (i.e. approved subject to disposal).  Time will tell and
unfortunately the iiNet/M2/TPG battle probably won¹t be decided until after
the upcoming Vocus/Amcom vote (unless delayed).  If M2 get iiNet, then I
think the Amcom stake held by TPG will stay.

An interesting wrinkle/concept is that iiNet/M2 (and to some extent
Vocus/Amcom) have as a possible option is that even if TPG/DT did block a
deal between in iiNet and M2, there is nothing stopping iiNet breaking the
offer (except for the lazy $15m in break fees) reversing the tables and
having a friendly crack at M2 at exactly the same transaction with the same
value, just that iiNet is the "acquirer" and M2 is the ³target".  This would
effectively kill of TPG¹s blocking stake because shareholder approval by the
acquirer is only 50% as long as no shareholder in the new merged entity
would control more than 20% (which I¹m pretty sure is the case in both
iiNet/M2 and Vocus/Amcom) then the deal would proceed.  Again the same
reverse takeover could apply to Vocus/Amcom.

Anyway, there¹s some smart operators with some smart advisors and and it¹s
not even half time me thinks.

Cheers

[b]