[AusNOG] Cisco ASR 1k series throughput licensing

James Mcintosh james.mcintosh at rocketmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:04:25 EST 2015

Anyone? I thought there'd be a heap of people here on list with ASR's....

     On Saturday, 25 April 2015, 10:34, James Mcintosh <james.mcintosh at rocketmail.com> wrote:

 Hey Noggers,
Can any Cisco "gurus" help me out here. The Cisco ASR1K series has throughput licensing (yes I know it's honour-based). I have a couple of questions regarding this:
1. How is the throughput measured? Is just the input or output rate on any of the interfaces?
2. If throughput reaches your licensed level what happens? Does it shape your traffic to the licensed rate regardless that there's heaps of other resources like CPU and memory?
For example the ASR1001 can be licensed only up 5Gbps but can take a 10Gbps interface. What happens after you reach the maximum licensed throughput of 5Gbps? Will it shape all the traffic on the 10Gbps interface to 5Gbps?
-James