[AusNOG] Cheapest half decent 10Gbps switch (for iSCSI only)

James Cunningham jjazza26 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 12:47:47 EST 2015

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so apologies in
advance - but since most people here run high speed storage networks it is
probably relevant.

Can I have some recommendations for low end, cost effective, 10Gbps
switches (for iSCSI use)?

Only need around 8-10 ports per switch, and all the switches I'm looking at
from the likes of Cisco and Juniper are around $20k-$30k a switch - seems
pretty extreme really. I'm looking at deploying 2 x 10Gbps iSCSI switches
for a client for a small VMware project, and am looking for suitable
switches.

Looking for suggestions for a half decent switch to use here - doesn't have
to be top of the line with heaps of features, just something very basic, as
long as it's 10Gbps and has at least 8 ports.

Looking at the Netgear XS712T, these are around the $2k mark, which is in
the ballpark of what I need. Looked at the Netgear XSM7224 and DELL N4032,
but these are around the $5k mark per switch (but granted 24 ports with
dual power supplies)

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks

James