[AusNOG] Sensible MTU For Core Routers

Nathan Brookfield Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au
Sun Apr 19 11:54:36 EST 2015

Hi James,

For anything internet facing for compatibility really and the fact that all transit providers and most peers on an exchange would be using 1500 byte MTU's we enforce this at all edges.

For customer Ethernet we enable by default at least 1998 unless requested by the end client for Jumbo's or baby Giants, this allows them to do a bit of encapsulation where required, L2TP etc without complaining to us about clamping.

For our own core network so that we can entertain 9216 at Layer 2 if requested, we ensure we provision every back haul link and interface touching these at 9000 Bytes Layer 3.

Kindest Regards,
Nathan Brookfield

Chief Executive Officer
Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd