[AusNOG] NBN - fibre link state pass-through (iinet IPoE NBN)

Elliott Willink Elliott.Willink at vibegroup.com.au
Mon Apr 13 15:57:42 EST 2015

Hi Everyone,

We have been battling an NBN fault (new service) for a customer for the past 2 months - Basically seeing copper-side interface down from our router to the NTD at roughly the same times each morning (NBNco have replaced the NTD & power supply, we have replaced our router & cabling).

NBNCo and the provider (iinet) seem to have zero visibility into fibre link state - With the only diagnostics available from anyone at iinet being the IPoE session times, which do not reliably drop when the router to NTD link drops.

Despite multiple escalations to the iinet fibre team, we can't get an answer to this question: Will a fibre link disruption be reflected on the copper side of the NTD?  (Without knowing that much about the post-NTD side of the NBN network, is there FEF/link state pass-through/some other mechanism by which the NTD would shut down UNI-D ports in response to a fibre-optic fault somewhere between the CPE and the PoI?)

Excuse my question if this information is available somewhere obvious - I have done a fair bit of research online and not been able to uncover an answer.

Thanks again,

Elliott