[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 4 13:18:39 EST 2015

So according to Christian Huitema in "IPv6: The New Internet Protocol", 2nd edition, they did consider swapping the source and destination fields around in around 1996, after the IPv6 specs were pretty much finalised, yet doing something as significant as that was still achievable because there weren't any implementations around.
However, they thought that for the cases where swapping them around would make a performance difference (i.e., where the header portions containing the src & dst addr were read in multiple parts) it was likely that the source address would also be a possible input into forwarding, so leaving the order as it is was best.
Regards,Mark.