[AusNOG] MRTG and Junos vs ScreenOS

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Mon Sep 29 10:22:14 EST 2014

At a guess,

1) The SNMP ifIndex values have changed. ifIndex persistence is the default
with Screen/JunOS but the complete upgrade/change of software will have
caused ifIndex values to change.

2) The new O/S has additional interfaces that didn't exist before. e.g.
loopback/NVI/etc/whatever.

3) You've done a rediscover on the device but now MRTG is trying to graph
the old interfaces along with the new ones it has discovered.

Generally speaking you'll want to identify the old RRD files you want to
keep then replace the new interface RRD files with those. Probably some
other tweaking involved, e.g. the interface line rate etc.

With those keywords in mind Google is probably your best bet at this point.