[AusNOG] Experiences with PPPoE on MX5 or ASR1K

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Fri Sep 19 14:37:41 EST 2014

My 2c

PPPoE is largely a function carried out in CPU. The ASR is a "big CPU" based
box, hence it is best suited for this function. The MX80 is largely a
hardware/ASIC based box, as such it is best suited for wire speed routing,
not so much CPU functions. An MX5 is just a software limited MX80, you don't
get any more CPU capacity with an 80 over a 5.

So... Use the MX for your big routing tables, and the ASR for your BNG
functions. If you want a cheap but effective PPPoE box, use Mikrotiks

cheers