[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's slide deck from AusNOG 2014 with added audio

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Thu Sep 11 13:41:31 EST 2014

> According to the FCC, 70% of US households have at least 2 options for
> providers.

Yeah, I think that's BS.

Of the 4-5 places I've lived in the choice was often fast (and
expensive) cable or slow DSL. The last place had a nice fat 50Mb cable
or a 1-3Mb DSL. Does that count as 2 options?

One place just near Berkeley had a choice or 15,000 foot DSL or 128K
bonded ISDN! Does that count as two options?

Only 1 out of 5 had genuine competition with 20+Mb VDSL and 50+Mb
Cable.

What you need to ask is, how many US households have more than one
high-speed option. That percentage is vastly less than 70%. I'd guess
at maybe 10% or less?

Mark.