[AusNOG] Community TV given the flick

James Morgan James.Morgan at vernet.com.au
Thu Sep 11 11:11:02 EST 2014

I was a little sad to read it myself, being someone who has run shows on
C31 before.  At first I was disappointed that the Government would yank
the rug like that, but then it got me thinking about the 'why' of
community television.  Sad to say, community TV ratings are low.
Really, really low.  I'm talking pick a video at random on YouTube and
it's likely to be higher.  It got me wondering; should there be
funding/spectrum allocated to such a narrow segment of the community
that are not specifically disadvantaged?  After all, programs for C31
are selected based upon what the station feels will appeal to the most
people and/or drive the most sponsorship revenue.  Compare this to
something like YouTube and, even though you're dealing with a much
broader market, you're dealing with a market where actual viewership is
the metric of success.  Program producers are not permitted to include
any advertising in programs, so in many ways a platform like YouTube
would be of benefit through monetisation if they are able to generate an
audience.

But then again, YouTube has been around for years yet people still
produce programs for C31, why?  I would say that it's the lure of
free-to-air television.  In theory our networks offer a cultivated
selection of content, and there's a certain level of prestige in
producing programs for that type of environment.  In the case of
commercial television that prestige is what helps you seek sponsorship
for the creation of your program, and does not seem to translate across
to the internet.

Am I sad that C31 looks to be going?  Absolutely.  Am I surprised?  I
guess I'm probably not.

James.