[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's slide deck from AusNOG 2014 with added audio

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Sep 10 12:14:49 EST 2014

On Sep 8, 2014, at 5:18 PM, ANSA SERVERS <info at ausnetservers.net.au> wrote:

> FTTN might work for the time being but will have to be replaced with more money out of the tax payers pocket. If the government knew anything about the state of the copper network their research would of told them that the part of the copper network they are keeping is the worst effected part of the network.

This line of argument needs to stop.

FTTN vs FTTH has been discussed ad nauseaum since about 2005.  Telstra first approached the Howard Government about FTTN, the Rudd Government started with FTTN then switched to FTTH.  Now the Abbott Government is doing both.

I think it’s safe to assert that all of the Governments involved in the many different NBNs which have been proposed know exactly what the state of the copper is.

If you believe that the Government would stop proposing networks that use the CAN if only they knew about the state of the CAN, you are wrong.  Stop doing that, it’s making you look silly, and no NBN-related argument has ever been won with that point.

  - mark