[AusNOG] Am I being unreasonable.... MelbourneIT

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Sep 3 09:46:26 EST 2014

It should be make before break.  And the delay between make and
break needs to be the greater of the zone's NS RRset TTL and the
delegation NS RRset TTL.  The clock for this starts ticking once
both the relevent TTL's have been updated.

The best way to move nameservers is to make the old server slaves
of the new servers.  Any DNS provider which is unable to do this
shouldn't be in the nameserver business.  This covers both zone
transfers in and zone transfers out during the transfer period.

Any processes that checks for delegations being moved away need to
account for this delay.

Mark