[AusNOG] AAPT E-Line + MPLS Encapsulated ICMP Replies

Tom Berryman Tom at connectivityit.com.au
Wed Sep 3 09:09:51 EST 2014

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for anyone who runs MPLS on top of AAPTs E-Line product. We have isolated a small set of packet types that are discarded somewhere on the circuit.
I am personally seeing this on multiple different e-lines, including intercapital & same state, of multiple service types (standard & business).
I have also witnessed this on varying hardware types including, Cisco NPE<> Brocade CER, Cisco ASR <> Cisco ASR, Brocade CER <> Brocade CER.

The issue only effects packets that meet these criteria:
- Ethernet
- MPLS with MPLS TTL=1

We have had a case with AAPT, the details of which will be kept confidential - but I will say AAPT are handling the case very well.

The purpose of this email is to attempt to find someone else who has identified this and has a feasible work around.

Cheers,
Tom.