[AusNOG] EOL Battery Strings

Mark Cheeseman mark-lists at cheeseman.org
Tue Sep 2 12:43:20 EST 2014

On 2/09/2014 12:08 PM, Ross Wheeler wrote:
> Last lot I took to the recyclers. I took in a little over 2.5 tonnes
> and walked out with almost a thousand bucks cash from memory.
>
> If you're planning to use them for off-grid living, please send me a
> message off-list. http://house.albury.net.au/23may2010/100_4463.JPG
> Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.

I'm also curious about this. What sort of condition are batteries in
when they are deemed to be unfit for datacentre usage? Are they disposed
of on a fixed cycle of a number of years, or when the drop below X%
capacity, or start drawing too much current on float? Just trying to
work out what I'd be in for, assuming I managed to get hold of any at all!

Power outages are a fact of life for me - where I live (outside Sydney,
west of the Nepean River), tree branches flying into power lines are a
frequent occurrence. Fortunately they don't always start bushfires! But
it happens often enough that I like to have some backup capacity to keep
the home servers going, run a few LED lights and maybe the fridge etc.
Oh, and keep my ham radio gear that I hardly ever use going.

-Mark VK2XGK