[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:31:41 EST 2014

They've been at this over 4 years now, and what we have by way of draft is
still so disappointing. There appears to be no distinction between packet
switched networks and PSTN, and maybe some of the drafters are oblivious of
the distinction. The goals seem mixed, and perhaps deliberately. I'm fully
supportive of the authorities' pursuit of the crazies, creeps, and
criminals, but supporting the security/police functions of the state should
not be combined, as appears to be the intent, with efforts to crack down on
copyright theft. Quite apart from the privacy ramifications, the imposition
on service providers is onerous and unnecessarily so.

The bill if broadly read goes so far as to require that every packet of a
DDOS be logged and retained for 2 years, and gives the  Communications
Access Coordinator power to impose fines if this condition is not complied
with. Sadly ridiculous, but that's the upshot of the draft.

Where there is one poorly framed bill, there ought to be 4, or at least
separate sections for packet switched networks vs PSTN, and for
security/policing vs copyright enforcement.

One of the unforeseen consequences of this legislation will be that it will
redirect huge quantities of traffic to encrypted channels, making the work
of security/police agences more difficult. Ironic. Likewise huge amounts of
traffic will be redirected to UDP, and that really is a nightmare for
service providers.

Paul Wilkins