[AusNOG] Old Wireless - Any ideas

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Oct 31 12:08:51 EST 2014

> *Antenna connection*
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9qez9oxu45dknh/Antenna.png?dl=0
>
> The antennas are VERY high up and hard to get to without lifters.

If your interpretation of "VERY high up" is similar to mine, and as there
is no scale to work with, those look like they might be about TNC sized
connectors, then that makes that coax VERY lossy over a "significant"
length at 5.xGHz

It's possible they are just tails and join onto something more suitable
for the main run up the mast.

> The key thing I don't know is if we can use the existing antenna setup,
> connectors, and stuff.

Subject to feedline losses being acceptable, and the overall condition of
the equipment being adequate, there are a plethora of very capable devices
that should do what you want. For <1dB insertion loss, there are plenty of
adapters that should take whatever the connectors you have, and enable
them to plug into whatever you get. (Probably N connectors).

RossW