[AusNOG] Old Wireless - Any ideas

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Oct 31 12:03:46 EST 2014

Shove a little routerboard on each end, with an EoIP tunnel across the
link?, and bridge the EoIP tunnel to ethernet on both sides? :)  Tis how I
do it across ethernet-over-powerline adapters at home :)

On 31 October 2014 11:55, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Came across an old P-t-P wireless link using the below hardware.
>
> *SmartSight S3100 *
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/beucbum3esv9z0n/Wireless.png?dl=0
>
> The hardware is old and utterly featureless (no MTU settings, no
> management VLANs, no anything really).  But it has up till now been running
> a single layer 2 with P-t-P layer 3 over it.
>
> When we went to do multiple VLANs everything went to hell.  Some get
> through, others don't, some MAC's are seen, others aren't and essentially
> made my life hell yesterday.
>
> I need to replace this crap, and don't know a ton about wireless... but
> also don't really need to for the most part...
>
> The kit is running on 802.11a - which I assume (correctly?) is 5Ghz.
>
> What I don't anything about is antenna's and connectors.  I've included a
> photo which may or may not be obvious to someone what it is.
>
> *Antenna connection*
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9qez9oxu45dknh/Antenna.png?dl=0
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/beucbum3esv9z0n/Wireless.png?dl=0>
>
> The antennas are VERY high up and hard to get to without lifters.
>
> My preference would to replace the wireless kit with something more
> advanced, and there is a lot of options there.
>
> The key thing I don't know is if we can use the existing antenna setup,
> connectors, and stuff.
>
> Any advise steering me in the right direction would be nice.
>
> ...Skeeve
>
> *Skeeve Stevens - *eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
> skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com
>
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
>
> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
> linkedin.com/in/skeeve
>
> twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com
>

> The Experts Who The Experts Call
> Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
 We ran to the sounds of thunder.