[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 19:34:35 EST 2014

A late reply to an early post - but I thought it best fits here.

Today's announcement is that the inteoduction of this legislation will be
delayed until next year, with a parliamentary committee being formed to
investigate and make recommendations to the Parliament on the detail of the
legislation. A Liberal Democrat senator made a bit of noise about this on
the radio today (he was very blunt in his assessment, and not at all
positive), and Labor are also making noises about making sure the privacy
implications are properly considered.

It seems we do still have time to influence this - but we should actually
use that time wisely.