[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Oct 30 14:09:23 EST 2014

In message <CAJcib_5GpLT-t6zqHVgY_qhPiQj7Ts=gCYO8Pi6Fv1RP5pzg+Q at mail.gmail.com>
, thelionroars writes:

> I'm surprised MAC address tracking is being taken seriously by anyone here.
> A conviction based on it would never stand.

Not alone but as part of a complete brief, yes it could be used.
It also provides data which can be corollated with other data.

I can well imagine having a random MAC per stream eventually.  802.11
cards supporting thousands of simultaneous associations.

People don't like to be tracked even if they are not doing anything
wrong.

Mark