[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Oct 30 14:08:11 EST 2014

That fact's seem to be that this legislation will pass without
consultation outside the gang of 4 at least and there is little if
anything we can do about it. So the conversion should really switch to.
What technically do we need to do to meet the requirements of the
legislation or instruments. Can we clearly define that so people in our
industry can work to a place where we can all provide the same
information and be sure that we have not missed something that will
cause grief down the track.

A bit of a nightmare situation for us might be. We in good faith keep
the information we think is required under the act. But one day get
asked for something we dont have and as a result are penalised for
effectively not being able to put extra finds into compliance legals.

Smaller carriage service providers dont have on staff legal team and
cant spend $100,000 on compliance and remain cost effective. We rely in
some ways on some people being jack of all trades and doing our best to
understand the requirements. It's my hope that the government will
clearly transmit the requirements to us in a format that we can
understand and comply with.   Failing that im sure there is a lot of us
that will rely on our peers to work through the requirements together
and hope we have not missed something.

Matt.