[AusNOG] TPG Peering

jason andrade jason at pobox.com
Wed Oct 22 10:34:18 EST 2014

G'day,

Might as well be $0 is not actually the same as actually $0 (but if you think it is, I'll happily accept you sending me $10, which might as well be $0 to you.. )

Lets suggest an arbitary value of an active 10GbE peering port as $100/month (which is close to $0).  Perhaps TPG has numbers to say it gets better return on $$ from telling everyone it's a multi award winner for $1200 than it does buying the extra 10Gbit that year.

It would be interesting to know whether one of the motivations is actually overt (sell you domestic transit bandiwdth rather than peering) as opposed to simply apathy.

What's even more interesting is that Jared wants to resolve a problem for - who exactly ? Does it end up being that he's a content provider and thus the eyeballs in question (gaming or otherwise) are worth $$ to him ? In which case the discussion heads in a particular direction.  Or are the users in question not actually his users (they're TPG's) and at which point why would you care (business wise - I understand why everyone cares from a good 'net perspective).  Isn't this the marketplace at work ?

regards,

-jason
-----
P: 0402 489 637  M: +61 402 489 637   E: jason at pobox.com