[AusNOG] Public Internet Access Policies

Ben Cooper ben at zeno.io
Fri Oct 10 11:11:07 EST 2014

<my_0.2c>

Free wifi is a joke in 99/100 places, most smartphone apps don't work over
it, because of upside down retarded filters, nor do even half of the port
80 based things.

Even things such as iMessage are broken on most free-wifi networks.

NextDC's "free wifi" amuses me as it falls for the same problem, cant ssh
my box from the comfort of the break room over it.

If you're going to setup public access internet, its that, the internet.
not a striped out pants on head version that caters to a few facebook
addicts and news ltd readers.

As said before, if you're so worried about getting in trouble for running
unflitered normal internet, imagine what happens when xyz person does abc
thing via tor over it. Now you're "we are super awesome network techs"
claims are dead in the water.

</my_0.2c>

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Sam Silvester <sam.silvester at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Skeeve Stevens <
> skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:
>
>> All good... but it isn't for you or Mark, or anyone else to decide what
>> someone else thinks their liability is or their policies should be.
>>

> You do realise that earlier on you said:
>
> "IMHO, Filtering should be mandatory in public access areas."
>
> What's up with that? Why should it be mandatory?

Ben Cooper
CEO
Zeno Holdings PTY LTD
P: +61 7 3503 8553