[AusNOG] Public Internet Access Policies

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Wed Oct 8 11:05:00 EST 2014

Hi,

We’re currently developing a public internet access solution for a public space, and one of the things we’re considering is content filtering as part of the solution.

Obviously the usual caveats apply around success, ability to circumvent, etc, but given all of these caveats, what are people’s general opinion on:

- is it a good idea to do this in a public space (think children, families, etc all around)
- what sort of filtering have you implemented in the past? We are looking at a solution that would do simple category filtering at the moment, with the option to blacklist and whitelist particular URLs
- what sort of categories would you generally block?

I’m personally of the opinion that it’s a “good idea” in this context although not fool proof.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Yager, Managing Director   MACS (Snr) CP BCompSc MCP
Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd - IT people you can trust