[AusNOG] ADSL Modem Testing

Paul Julian paul at oxygennetworks.com.au
Sat Nov 22 08:45:55 EST 2014

Hey Burt, for the VDSL just buy a Planet VDSL2 Modem, VC230 or something similar that will run in CPE or CO mode (just check specs before buying), then just set it to CO mode and it will look like a DSLAM port for you, then you can test modems like that, about $170 will get you out of trouble, or even just use a bridge (VC231) but the modem will tell you more about the connection quality.

Or if you want you can buy an 8 port VDSL DSLAM (VC820M) which will do the job, about $700 ex new, not too expensive really, we use heaps of them, simple and reliable.

Some DSLAMS will do VDSL/VDSL2 and ADSL fallback, Zyxel do that but are a bit pricey for a test unit, Zyxel has a great feature set, planet simpler but do the job well, and do 100/100 out of the box, only the more expensive Zyxel units do VDSL2 (30a profile)

Regards
Paul