[AusNOG] Lets Encrypt

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed Nov 19 14:31:37 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:18:42PM +1100, Jeremy Visser wrote:
> On 19/11/14 10:34, Ernie wrote:
> > It's going to be a non-profit organization that issues free
> > certificates for any website.
> >
> > My question is, will this screw up companies like Verisign/Thawte
> > sales?
>
> Given that StartSSL have been around for years, and do exactly that: no.

No, they don't do "exactly that".  StartSSL's free tier is *explicitly* only
for personal use, and yes, they *do* check.  Let's Encrypt appears to be
ambivalent around the use that a certificate is put to, other than "it is
used to secure traffic to your site".

- Matt

--
You have a 16-bit quantity, but 5 bits of it are here and 2 bits of it are
there... and 2 bits of it are back here and 3 bits of it are up there.  The