[AusNOG] PTR Records

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Nov 18 13:21:54 EST 2014

In message <1317382514.1778278.1416276314750.JavaMail.yahoo at jws10688.mail.bf1.y
ahoo.com>, Mark ZZZ Smith writes:

> >________________________________

More correctly it can be any domain name.  That said within
in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa the PTR records which correspond to the
reverse mappings of IP addresses are expected to be hostnames (LDH).

> If you want to have a bit of fun, change PTRs for router interfaces to
> "censored" or similar. When I did something similar (I wanted to obscure
> something just to that it wouldn't be used temporarily), traceroute just
> displayed it.  IOW, traceroute wasn't validating in any way the PTR
> string returned, it was purely displaying it.

"censored" is LDH so you have no way of knowing if it or the library
routine checked.  Note also some routines within a library may care
while others may not.  getnameinfo / gethostbyaddr usually care,
but not always, whereas res_query / res_search won't care despite
both being in the same library.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC