[AusNOG] Dealing with Bigpond Faults

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Sat Nov 15 12:48:15 EST 2014

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has any easier way of dealing with Telstra Bigpond faults.

A number of times in the past few months there has been significant outages
(HFC) in our area (Glebe).

They admit the problem on their Service Status page - which is a good thing.

But then the fault says closed/resolved... but most of the time it isn't
resolved.

Then you phone the call centre in the Philippines and they are almost
beyond useless.

You get them to look up the fault... they find it, say its resolved and
offer to send someone out to check your setup - in about 4-5 days.

No matter what you say you can't get them to re-open the actual fault that
is already logged and closed... you just sit there and suffer for days
until enough people yell and scream.

One time I let the truck roll happen.  They came out 4 days later... walked
in, and said they knew there was still issues as there were a dozen service
calls they were being asked to attend.

This must cost them HEAPS in wasted call-outs when they could just leave
the fault open and get people to work on it as opposed to closing it and
their engineers thinking everything is ok.

Last night an outage started around 7pm... by 10pm it was resolved and gone
off the service status page, but a dozen people in the complex are still
broken and experiencing massive latency and loss.  My only advice to them
is to yell at Telstra support, and they do, but nothing happens.

Divide and ignore.

Is there someone in Australia you can talk to who will actually listen to
you and actually be able to do something about getting online?

I can't wait for NBNCo to take over the HFC network and get rid of bloody
Telstra for a provider who cares about their customers.  At least then if
there is an issue dozens of providers will kick NBNCo till it is fixed.

</rant>

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering