[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 8 08:04:21 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

I don't think people shouldn't be using 'feelings' to make technology decisions, I think they should be using 'thinkings', and thinking involves finding out the trade-offs and costs vs benefits of the different options available.

> And I feel that arguing it has insufficient
> merit to *ever* be appropriate is oversimplification.

My experience since first attempting to enable it in 1995 when NAT was a brand new thing tells me otherwise, and for a short period I even thought it was a good idea because it decoupled internal network addressing from Internet addressing. I however now don't think that benefit is worth the many other costs I've since seen and experienced. I will and have used 'public' IPv4 addressing by default just for the value global uniqueness provides, because that has been a very useful property during troubleshooting and I think one that is undervalued.

Networks should be transparent to applications so any application just works without any changes being needed to the Network. All that should be required to run a new application over a network is to load it up on the involved end-hosts. The day I first loaded up a web browser in 1991 was the day I was able to access the world wide web - no network changes required. The day I first tried to enable NAT was the day it broke or rather never could work, because the NAT box couldn't translate IPv4 addresses inside NetBIOS packets (because NATs have to dig around inside application payloads, and that means understanding the application protocols).

An application transparent network causes the least problems and is cheapest to run, because the network doesn't care what the applications are and therefore doesn't try to get involved in how the applications operate. NAT violates that transparency, and the costs of trying to again make it transparent to the application (e.g., NAT traversal, tunneling over UDP etc., less resilient and less scalable hub-and-spoke traffic topologies, trusted or perhaps not-to-be-trusted intermediaries between the communicating nodes etc.,), just so the application can work, have to be paid by somebody, even if it isn't you.