[AusNOG] [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Nov 7 20:54:52 EST 2014

On 7 Nov 2014, at 6:59 pm, Jonathan Thorpe <jthorpe at Conexim.com.au> wrote:

> I was just thinking - I've got loads of equipment in my lounge room alone which doesn't support IPv6 - all of which is only a couple of years old:
> * Receiver
> * PVR
> * Samsung Smart TV

Here's the important thing to understand, which the Australian network operator community generally fails to appreciate:

1.  Despite your personal household inventory, almost all devices ARE IPv6-capable.

2.  There is no (present) need for every device to be IPv6-capable.

3.  Where operators of public networks (ISPs, hosting providers) roll out IPv6,
    the migration is capable of starting in residential retail land.

4.  If the operators of public networks (ISPs, hosting providers) don't roll out
    IPv6, then *nothing can happen at all.*

It *does* *not* *matter* that residential punters have non-IPv6 CPE, or a handful
of non-IPv6 devices in their loungeroom.

What matters is that *WHEN THEY UPGRADE*, the internet should be capable of
delivering their IPv6 packets.

YOU PEOPLE, on THIS mailing list, are the ones who are supposed to be doing the
work now, in 2014.  That Is Your Actual Job.

And you're not doing it.

And the reason you're not doing it is plain, simple, and crystal clear:  You don't
want to.

Simple, isn't it?

The hard work has already been done:  Every single one of you *could* start planning
and rolling-out IPv6-capable access networks tomorrow if you wanted to, and it'd
cost almost nothing, and it'd secure the future of the Australian corner of the
internet.  But most of you aren't yet, because you're too busy entertaining
yourselves with imaginary excuses about how difficult/confusing/pointless/expensive
it is.

When are you going to start?

  - mark