[AusNOG] [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 7 16:51:22 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

What sort of equipment? A lot of networking equipment has been able to do IPv6 for at least decade, it is just a matter of switching it on.

The two major barriers to widespread IPv6 deployment in recent times have been lack of IPv6 residential/SOHO CPE and complacent network operators.

> who are not going to be able to afford (or
> justify) the expense of replacement gear; and are going to be in an
> awkward position if they were "forced" to change now.

Well, if they'll have to place a value on accessing IPv6 only content. If that value is below what the replacement cost of their equipment is, they'll have to live without the IPv6 only content. At some point it won't be possible to make it available over IPv4, so they'll need to choose what is more important to them.

> The number of people who CAN'T get the NBN yet vastly outnumbers the
> number who can, so "Oh, but they'll have IPv6 available at their router
>
> now" doesn't apply, and likely won't for some time to come.
>
> Not wanting to make an argument, it's a serious and genuine question.
> I don't remember seeing anything (but then, I haven't been looking for
> one).

If you haven't been looking, how can you have seen anything? Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, in particular if you haven't been looking for evidence!

When I occasionally visit Office works I have a look at the spec's of various CPE, and IPv6 support is starting to show up fairly often.

Here's what appears to be the cheapest Netgear ADSL router, and IPv6 is listed, and seems to retail at around $60:

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/d1500.aspx#tab-techspecs

Here's what looks to be the cheapest D-Link Wifi ADSL router, and IPv6 is listed, and seems to retail at $50 to $60.

http://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/wireless-n300-adsl2-modem-router-usb

This seems to be the cheapest Netcomm Wifi ADSL router, and IPv6 is listed, and seems to retail at around $70 to $80.

http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/adsl/nb604n

So all of those ADSL routers that support IPv6 are in the order of no more than 1 to 2 times the typical monthly subscription of a broadband service.

> It'd have to compete on price with todays "throw-away"
> router
> prices, because that's all a lot of people can afford.

Given how often people are willing to 'throw-away' smartphones that cost in the many $100s of dollars every few years, if there is a need to buy an IPv6 supporting router for home, I think people will fairly easily find the money.