[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 7 14:44:15 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

To elaborate further,

- Neighbor Unreachability Discovery (NUD) will detect the failure of a default router much quicker than RA expiry, as a default router is also a neighbor, and the NUD timers are much smaller than the RA defaults. Further more, NUD only probes for continuing neighbor existence when there is no other indication that the neighbor still exists. For example, a 'continuing' TCP connection to or through the neighbor (to when the neighbor is another host, or through when the neighbor is a router) is evidence that the neighbor still exists, so NUD doesn't need to probe for unreachability. (And this is a good example of why you shouldn't play with default parameters when you don't know how everything works - you may not actually solve your problem, and you may create other hidden ones that burn you badly when something else goes wrong.)

- VRRP and similar are much better than playing with NUD or RA timers because the operation of VRRP only involves the default routers on the link, and is therefore transparent to the hosts. The load on the routers' control plane is therefore only proportional to the number of routers running VRRP on the link, rather than proportional to the number of hosts, and there will usually be a small and fixed number of routers.